Saturday, April 21, 2012

1984 by George Orwell

Title: 1984
Author: George Orwell
Pages: 266 (my version)
Level: Mature (there's sex)
Published: June 8, 1949

Winston Smith lives in a totalitarian society in which his every move is being watched, his every word being heard, and every flicker of his eyes speculated. You can't trust anyone in this world. Children will turn in their own parents if they suspect them to be traitors. Winston's job is to rewrite the past according to the present. Deleting names from documents, burning old newspaper, anything to keep control of the people. But Winston doesn't like being held down by this government. He wants to live life like he wants to live it. To do that is suicide, but he is willing to risk anything. 

Zhanna Review: 
Let's start at the beginning. No, I did not read this for school. I read this on my own account (well, kinda). My neighbor said I had to read it. She said that this book is the best dystopian novel as it illustrates very keen points that a dystopian novel should have. So I took it and began reading. 
This book took me about 30 pages to get into. It was slow, and it wasn't very clear but I kept on reading and...
This book scarred me for life. 
This book is so scary, I'm not even going to lie. I nearly pooped my pants a couple times. 

But it rocked. 
This book was so elegantly written and the setting was absolutely amazing. 

A few things that bothered me:
1. I felt like women were being downgraded. Orwell portrayed women as weak automatons and I got a little offended, honestly. 
2. Winston was super gullible and trusted too many people for my comfort. I thought he was smarter than that. 

That's pretty much it. This book was disgusting, hard to look at, and I wanted to scream at it. 
It was one of the best books ever. 
I'm going back to my corner to cleanse my mind with YA for now though. I need a break.
Cover: 1/5 
Character Rating: 3/5
Style: 4/5
Development: 5/5
Overall: 
****



1 comment:

  1. 1984 is definitely a creepy read. chills! Love the blog, I just followed and grabbed your button. Mind checking out mine as well?

    http://catiesmoviesinmyhead.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message after the beep.
Beeeeeeeep.