Tuesday, August 21, 2012

When The Sea Is Rising Red By: Cat Hellisen

Title: When The Sea Is Rising Red
Author: Cat Hellisen
Pages: 288
Level: Young Adult
Published: February 28, 2012


After seventeen-year-old Felicita’s dearest friend, Ilven, kills herself to escape an arranged marriage, Felicita chooses freedom over privilege. She fakes her own death and leaves her sheltered life as one of Pelimburg’s magical elite behind. Living in the slums, scrubbing dishes for a living, she falls for charismatic Dash while also becoming fascinated with vampire Jannik. Then something shocking washes up on the beach: Ilven's death has called out of the sea a dangerous, wild magic. Felicita must decide whether her loyalties lie with the family she abandoned . . . or with those who would twist this dark power to destroy Pelimburg's caste system, and the whole city along with it.

Review:

Where to start? I thought at the beginning this book was really weird. I didn't understand a lot of things, I think it would have been better with more background information before the actual plot started. That being said, this book was definitely unique and original.

I didn't find a boring moment in this book. In the synopsis it says that she falls for Dash, so of course I couldn't wait to meet the character. Never have I ever hated a character more. I don't really know how to describe it, but it was like one of those bad boy guys that you like but they're nothing but bad for you. At the same time, at the end of the day I did end up caring for him no matter how much I hated him. 

The ending was also very strange. It was a little hard to follow. I don't know if I would read the second installment if there is one. I would be content just reading this book. Don't let that discourage you though, it was a good book.

Cover: 3/5
Character Rating: 3/5
Style: 3/5
Plot Development: 4/5
Overall: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message after the beep.
Beeeeeeeep.